Sep 2, 2011

Santa Fe Burgers

santa fe burgers 2

These burgers were the perfect easy summertime burger recipe.  They are filled with cheese, salsa and crushed tortilla chips – an oddly perfect ingredient that I wish I had thought of.  We are always crushing up tortilla chips in our tacos – so why not cook them inside the burger? Ingenious. I only had Frontera Chipotle salsa on hand – but you can use any kind of salsa you may have.  I found the the chipotle really gave these burgers a great taste though.  My husband is seriously obsessed with the Frontera salsas – I can barely keep the house stocked with them.   I went to two of Rick Bayless’ restaurants in Chicago recently (if you don’t know who he is by now you are missing out!) – and I am still thinking about the food – so fresh, so flavorful and so so delicious. It really has inspired me to cook some more adventurous Mexican dishes.  I topped these burgers with some extra cheese, fresh sliced avocados and some more salsa.  Y.U.M.M.Y!  Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese, plus more for serving
  • 1/4 cup salsa, plus more for serving
  • 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 4 burger buns
  • sliced fresh avocado, for serving

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, shredded cheese, salsa, tortilla chips, green onions, chili powder and garlic salt. 

2. Shape into 4 burger patties. 

3. Cook on the preheated grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cook through.

4. Place on buns and top with additional cheese and salsa.  Top with fresh avocado slices.

Source: Pennies on a Platter

Printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. Christine, these sound awesome! I can't wait to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw... i just posted about these on my Facebook Fan Page. Perfect dish to make this Labor Day Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and wanted to say it's great! Thanks for all the fantastic recipes and ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete